Plumber left gas boiler in dangerous state

A self-employed plumber left a boiler with numerous faults and in a dangerous state at a customer’s home at Hillyfield Road, Exeter.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated the incident and prosecuted Mr Dunn at a hearing before Exeter Magistrates on 4 November 2015.

The court was told that Michael Dunn of Luscombe Crescent, Paignton installed a new gas boiler and left it leaking gas and the boiler flue that he installed was not installed to the manufacturer’s instructions and not to the proper standards.

Mr Dunn then compounded his offences by ignoring repeated concerns raised with him by the homeowners that they could smell gas. Wales and West Utilities were then called to attended site and found that there was a gas leak and the situation safe.

Mr Dunn pleaded guilty to two breaches of gas safety regulations and was fined a total of £1,000 and ordered to pay £1,000 in costs.

Further information on domestic gas safety issues can be found on the HSE website at http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/

Notes to Editors:

  1. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to reduce work-related death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice, promoting training; new or revised regulations and codes of practice, and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement. hse.gov.uk
  2. More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at: legislation.gov.uk/
  3. HSE news releases are available at http://press.hse.gov.uk

Article source: http://press.hse.gov.uk/2015/plumber-left-gas-boiler-in-dangerous-state/