A medicinal herbal manufacturing company in Lincolnshire has been fined after a worker died from exposure to a toxic gas.
Leicester Crown Court heard Karl Brader, 50, was working for Herbs in a Bottle Limited. He was using cleaning chemicals to clean a changing room when he was exposed to a toxic gas (likely to be chlorine) and died at the scene.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident which occurred on 2 September 2014 found that Mr Brader had not been trained in the safe use of chemicals and no company Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) assessment had been carried out.
Herbs in a Bottle Limited, of Bourne End, Essendine, Lincolnshire, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, and Regulation 6(1)(a) of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002, and was fined £45000 and ordered to pay full costs of £4,842.
HM Inspector Stephen Farthing said: “This was a tragic industrial incident that was entirely preventable had suitable precautions been taken. Karl Brader had not received any training in the safe use of hazardous chemicals and as a result died from the exposure to a toxic gas.
“Companies should ensure that they assess all the risks associated with the use of dangerous chemical and that exposure to their employees is either eliminated or minimised.”
For further information on COSHH visit: http://www.hse.gov.uk/toolbox/harmful/coshh.htm
Notes to Editors:
- The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to reduce work-related death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice, promoting training; new or revised regulations and codes of practice, and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement. www.hse.gov.uk
- More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at: www.legislation.gov.uk/
- HSE news releases are available at http://press.hse.gov.uk
Article source: http://press.hse.gov.uk/2016/worker-dies-from-toxic-gas/