The purpose of the Band 3 Project Manager (PM) position is to project manage the safe execution of a portfolio of engineering and scientific projects, encompassing the lifetime of a project from negotiation with the customer through to successful delivery, closure and review. The successful candidate will be responsible for delivering a portfolio of projects safely, to agreed time, cost and quality.
The portfolio of projects will be compiled to reflect the higher level of the expertise expected of a Band 3 Project Manager (PM). A Band 3 PM will be expected to manage a challenging portfolio of several projects in terms of complexity, risk and scale.
- Working closely with technical specialists, resource managers and business managers to develop, plan, cost and successfully deliver on several projects simultaneously;
- Providing strong leadership for each project team and also to take the lead when dealing with large external clients;
- Ensuring that all appropriate risk assessments are conducted and maintained to reflect any changes in project activity;
- Monitoring and reporting on project progress against the project plan providing timely project management information to both internal and/or external key stakeholders;
- Forecasting delivery throughout the life of the project;
- Maintaining regular communication with customers and providing reports on project progress as agreed;
- Ensuring corporate project management practices and methodologies are adopted and followed;
- Using the Health Safety Laboratory (HSL) project management system to profile projects and plan resources;
- Helping to ensure consistency and best practice in the use of HSL’s project management software.
- Using their knowledge and expertise to proactively contribute to leadership of project management across HSL and to the continual improvement of project management capability and approaches at HSL.
Please see the HSL website for further information on the type of work that we do.
Nationally recognised project management qualification (e.g., APMP or PRINCE2 equivalent qualification; Engineering or science qualification (e.g., BSc) or similar.
You must be able to demonstrate;
- Experience of managing projects in a technical environment, including the ability to demonstrate the key attributes of project management; experience of using a project planning tool (e.g., Primavera) and following corporate project procedures; and experience of identifying and managing project risks.
- Ability to demonstrate a track record of high quality project initiation, with clarity of purpose, scope and outcomes.
- Ability to demonstrate effective leadership and stakeholder management with excellent communication skills.
You must also be able to demonstrate the following competencies;
- Engaging People; Collaborating and Partnering
- Setting Direction; Changing and Improving
- Delivering Results; Achieving Commercial Outcomes
Note: If you are selected for interview you will be required to provide evidence, at the interview, of the Learning and Development/Continuous Professional Development that you have undertaken to prepare you for your career progression. For HSL candidates this should be in the form of a Professional Portfolio (which should include an up to date LD/CPD log/record), or for other Civil Service or external candidates a written summary of what informal and formal Learning and Development you have undertaken, what you learned/key benefits and, where relevant, how the learning was used.
- Vacancy information leaflet
To apply for this role, please use the Civil Service on line recruitment system. Civil Service Jobs.
Where asked for examples of experience for each the specific requirements, please give one or more instances illustrating what was done, how and the outcome.
Once you have logged in to the system, please select Health and Safety Executive in the department section, click Search. All Health and Safety Executive vacancies will be displayed. Please select the vacancy you wish to apply for and click on ‘click here to apply now’ at the bottom of the newly displayed screen.
To enable you to complete the competency based application form, see the Civil Service Competency Framework which you are advised to read prior to submitting your application.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an acknowledgment. If you have a disability and you need an application form in an alternative format or you would like to know more about our recruitment process, please telephone Janine Tickle 01298 218828 or email email@example.com
Please ensure you upload your CV and a covering letter. It is essential that your covering letter addresses how your skills and experience meet the requirements for this post.
This should be no more than two sides of A4 paper (font size 10).
* Please note the close date for applications is 14th January 2014.
Article source: http://www.hse.gov.uk/careers/b3-project-manager-hsl.htm