Environmental Services firm fined over electrocution of worker

A company providing environmental services has been prosecuted after a worker was killed during asbestos removal work at a Welsh High school.

Newport Magistrates Court heard how the 26-year-old father from Gwent had accessed a ceiling void at Cwmcarn High School on 19 July 2013 to create an enclosure to contain the asbestos during its removal. While he was cutting plastic sheeting he cut into a live electric cable and was electrocuted.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that Caswell Environmental Services Ltd had not taken adequate steps to ensure that the electrical supply at the school was isolated before the work was undertaken.

Caswell Environmental Services Ltd of Lynton House, Tavistock Square, London were found guilty in their absence, to breaching Sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act, 1974. In sentencing the Judge considered the fact that the company was now in liquidation and delivered a total nominal fine of £10,000 with £1,000 in costs.

Notes to Editors:

  1. The Health and Safety Executive is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to reduce work-related death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice, promoting training, new or revised regulations and codes of practice, and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement. www.hse.gov.uk
  2. More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at: legislation.gov.uk
  3. Further HSE news releases are available at press.hse.gov.uk

Article source: http://press.hse.gov.uk/2016/environmental-services-firm-fined-over-electrocution-of-worker/