A vehicle seat manufacturing company based in Ebbw Vale, has been fined after a worker was injured from an explosion.
Cwmbran Magistrates’ Court heard how an operator at Sears Manufacturing Company (Europe) Limited suffered burns to his head and hands.
Highly flammable release agent is used to prevent dispensed foam sticking to the seat mould.
It was during this process that the release agent ignited, causing an explosion which injured the operator.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident which occurred on 26 January 2015 found that a failure to have suitable control measures in place caused the release agent to ignite.
Sears Manufacturing Company (Europe) Limited, of Rassau Industrial Estate, Ebbw Vale, Gwent, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 5,6, and 9 of Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR) and was fined £40,000 and ordered to pay costs of £12,010.
For further information on fire and explosions visit: http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/dsear.htm
Notes to Editors:
- The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to reduce work-related death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice, promoting training; new or revised regulations and codes of practice, and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement. www.hse.gov.uk
- More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at: www.legislation.gov.uk/ and guidance at
- HSE news releases are available at http://press.hse.gov.uk