Firm fined after two workers suffer severe electrical burns

An engineering company based in Birmingham has been fined after two workers suffered severe electrical burns

Walsall Magistrates’ Court heard how CISM Limited of Birmingham were contracted to dismantle and remove redundant electrical cable and equipment at the former McKecknie Brass site, Middlemore Lane, Aldridge, Walsall.

An employee and a sub-contract electrician began work at one of the substations. While carrying out an electrical check inside a switchgear, the electrician accessed the live bus bar. There was an electrical arc and discharge with both men suffering severe electrical burns.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident which occurred on 11 September 2014 found that the current at the terminal was 6,600 volts. The tester in use by the electrician was only suitable for use on 240-410 volt equipment. The electrician was not suitably qualified to carry out work on high voltage systems.

C.I.S.M. Limited, of Partons Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 13(2) of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007, and was fined £50,000 and ordered to pay costs of £7,863.

For further information on electrical testing visit:

Notes to Editors:

  1. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to reduce work-related death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice, promoting training; new or revised regulations and codes of practice, and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement.
  2. More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at:  and guidance at
  3. HSE news releases are available at

Article source: