A new head of waste and recycling has been appointed by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
Rick Brunt, current head of field operations for the North West replaces Graeme Walker who retires from HSE after 37 years service.
The head of waste and recycling will work closely with industry and will lead a Unit of inspectors, policy officials and support staff.
Although the number of injuries to workers has fallen over the last five years, waste and recycling remains one of Britain’s higher risk industries with 10 people killed in 2012/13, double the lives lost in the previous year.
“As head of operations I have seen the consequences of poorly managed risks in the waste and recycling industry, and while progress has been made in addressing these problems, the industry has plenty of scope to reduce the toll of injuries and deaths.
“I am looking forward to working with the industry, and supporting them in tackling the issues that sit behind the injury statistics”
Graeme Walker said:
“During my five years as head of waste and recycling, a great deal of progress has been made by industry in tackling the problems inherent in waste and recycling.
“I’m pleased to be handing over to Rick, he will have the full support of the dedicated and hard working sector team, and I am confident he will continue to provide vital support to industry to encourage them to bring about further improvements to their safety record.”
Notes to editors
- The Health and Safety Executive is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to prevent death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice, promoting training, new or revised regulations and codes of practice, and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement. www.hse.gov.uk
- Rick Brunt joined HSE as a trainee agricultural inspector in 1989 after completing his Degree in Agriculture at LondonUniversity and a short spell at the Ministry of Agriculture. During his time with HSE, Rick has worked as an inspector in a number of other industries, including engineering, utilities and domestic gas. He was promoted to Head of operations for the North West in 2009, where he led the delivery of HSEs inspection, investigation and enforcement activities for the region. In 2011, he took up leadership of the learning and development team, with an oversight of the induction and training of new inspectors and the development of a post graduate diploma training programme.
- Rick is also appointed head of the agricultural sector
- Please visit http://www.hse.gov.uk/waste/ for more information on HSE’s work in the waste and recycling industry.
- HSE information and news releases can be accessed on the Internet www.hse.gov.uk/press HSE Press Office is on Twitter @H_S_E