Landlord fined over gas safety breach

A landlord has been fined after a defective gas appliance was found to be in operation at his premises.

Ashby Bedeau rented out a property in Rutland Road, Bedford. In February this year his tenants felt unwell and contacted the gas helpline.

An engineer arrived and stopped the property’s gas supply as carbon monoxide was found to be present. He advised the tenants to go to hospital. Subsequently it was found the gas hob was defective. British Gas capped off the hob as immediately dangerous.

Prosecuting, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) told Luton Magistrates’ Court that Mr Bedeau had a gas hob, gas cooker and boiler under contract from a gas provider. However, he had not had the hob gas safety checked in January 2015, as required by law.

HSE told the court that landlords must ensure all gas appliances are not only checked for safety, but maintained in a safe condition.

Ashby Bedeau, of Gladstone Street, Bedford, admitted breaching Regulation 36(2)(a) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and was fined £265 with costs of £845.

Notes to editors 

  1. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to reduce work-related death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice, promoting training; new or revised regulations and codes of practice, and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement.  
  2. More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at:   
  3. HSE news releases are available at

Article source: