Manchester Galvanising Ltd, a manufacturer of coated metals, was fined after an employee suffered a fractured foot and shoulder after falling three metres from a ladder into a drying pit.
Trafford Magistrates’ Court heard that an employee was working in the galvanising area when a metal post fell from the jig of an overhead crane and into a dryer.
The employee used a wooden ladder in an attempt to retrieve the post but the ladder broke causing him to fall three metres into the bottom of the dryer pit.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated and decided to prosecute the company. HSE told the court the company had failed to ensure that work at height was properly planned, supervised or carried out in a safe manner.
Manchester Galvanising Ltd, of Green Lane, Heywood, Lancashire, was fined a total of £6,000, with costs of £1,248, after pleading guilty to a breach of Regulation 4 (1) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005.
Speaking after the hearing HSE Inspector Emily Osborne said: “The employee in this case was lucky that he wasn’t more seriously hurt. It is essential that companies ensure work at height is properly planned, organised and supervised in order to avoid this type of incident.”
For more information on falls from height visit: http://www.hse.gov.uk/food/falls.htm
Notes to Editors:
- The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to reduce work-related death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice, promoting training; new or revised regulations and codes of practice, and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement. www.hse.gov.uk
- More about the legislation referred to in this case can be found at: www.legislation.gov.uk/
- HSE news releases are available at http://press.hse.gov.uk