Date and location
Wednesday, 23 – 24 July 2015, Health and Safety Laboratory, Harpur Hill, Buxton,
Derbyshire SK17 9JN
This course will increase your knowledge and understanding of PPE and its limitations, so that you can use PPE as an effective workplace control measure. It will provide training in what a successful PPE programme is, what you need to consider, and what actions are required. The course includes hands-on elements to enhance learning and provide practical skills.
No PPE provides 100% protection. However, PPE that is correctly selected, used and maintained is capable of providing effective protection. Unsuitable, poorly maintained and incorrectly used PPE may give limited protection or none at all, and may even put the wearer at greater risk. PPE which provides little or no protection is a waste of time and money.
What will the course cover?
- Risk assessment and the hierarchy of controls
- Achieving effective control
- Relevant legislation on supply and use of PPE
- The range of PPE and how it works
- Correct selection, use and maintenance of PPE
- How PPE performance is described, for example protection factors
- Types, capabilities and limitations of PPE covering:
- Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE)
- Protective clothing, including gloves and boots
- Head protection, eye and face protection
- Hearing protection
- Fall protection and PPE for work at height
- Using different PPE and equipment together at the same time – the PPE ensemble
- How to put on and take off PPE, including daily checks and avoiding contamination
- Wearer training and what you need to develop competence
- The elements of an effective PPE management programme, including implementing and managing a PPE Programme
- Typical problems with PPE and PPE Programmes
Who should attend?
Anyone who has responsibility for, or is involved with, the selection, use and maintenance of PPE in the workplace.
Further information and booking
A full programme and online booking form can be found on the PPE Essentials course page. Alternatively, you can email HSL Training or call 01298 218806.
Article source: http://www.hse.gov.uk/events/hsl-ppe-essentials.htm