This report presents the findings of a pilot project to research the need to update HSE’s evidence base for wood dust exposure risks in GB manufacturing and construction industries.
Information was sourced from businesses which had participated in previous exposure surveys, contact with manufacturing (woodworking) businesses and trade associations, a literature review of papers reporting wood dust exposure data, and occupational hygiene surveys for wood dust exposure at three construction sites. The report finds there to be:
- uncertainty whether the control of occupational exposure to wood dust has improved since 2000;
- limited understanding of exposure risk to wood dust in construction;
- a lack of reliable, current intelligence on exposure risk to wood dust;
- limited understanding of the changing patterns of wood usage;
- lack of clarity on the changing profile of the woodworking industry.
Further research is now planned by HSE to work in partnership with industry to establish a baseline occupational exposure dataset characterising good controls practice
- Full report
Assistance in the use of Adobe Acrobat PDF files is available on our FAQs page.
Article source: http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrhtm/rr1011.htm