A gas fitter has been fined after he illegally carried out work to install a gas boiler in a Newquay home.
Guy Radford, trading as Radford Plumbing, from Launceston, was not Gas Safe registered when he carried out the work at a property in Fairfield Place in Newquay between May and June 2013.
In a prosecution brought by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) today (7 February), Truro Magistrates heard Mr Radford had been asked to install the boiler and flue by the householder.
After the householder raised concerns, a Gas Safe registered engineer visited and found the flue to the outside of the property had not been properly sealed, creating the risk of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas re-entering the house, causing a potential danger to life.
Inquiries by HSE revealed that Mr Radford was working illegally as he was not on the Gas Safe register.
Guy Radford, of Wood View, North Hill, Launceston, pleaded guilty to breaches of Regulation 3(3) and Regulation 26(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was given a two year conditional discharge and ordered to pay £353 in costs.
HSE Inspector Simon Jones, speaking after the hearing, said:
“Mr Radford was not trained to carry out the work he was asked to do and his poor standard of work put the life of his customer at risk.
“To safeguard the public from dangerous gas work, it is against the law for someone who is not Gas Safe registered to work on gas.”
Russell Kramer, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, said:
“Of the illegal jobs Gas Safe Register investigates, around one in five are found to be immediately dangerous, posing a threat to life or property. It’s vital that if you are having gas work carried out in your home that you check that the person carrying out the work is registered. It’s the law and it will help keep you and your family safe.
“You can check an engineer is registered by asking to see their Gas Safe ID card. You can find local engineers by calling Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 or by visiting the website, www.gassaferegister.co.uk.”
Further information on gas safety can be found on the HSE website at http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas
Notes to Editors
- The Health and Safety Executive is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to reduce work-related death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice; promoting training; new or revised regulations and codes of practice; and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement. www.hse.gov.uk
- Regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations states: “No self-employed person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting unless a member of a class of person approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive (Gas Safe Registered).”
- Regulation 26(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 states: “No person shall install a gas appliance unless it can be used without constituting a danger to any person.”
- HSE news releases are available at www.hse.gov.uk/press.